Pages

Friday 8 June 2012

Hanging Out

I won't even try to catch up on posting. I'll just pretend that nothing of import happened in the last month. It probably didn't. I don't even remember. I do miss blogging about all the cafes I go to though. But let's just say, I have 1-3 cups of coffee a day. Pretend like I blogged about them. Ok, the end.

But ... I did decide to try something exciting for once (it may have been due to my gym membership expiring and this class was free and you know how I like to take advantage of free things).


Antigravity Yoga on CBC
http://www.stevenashfitnessclubs.com/programs/anti_gravity.html
Anti-Gravity Yoga!

I was super pumped. PUMPED. Now, I didn't know what to expect, and honestly, I was a little apprehensive (has to do with the fact that all sorts of flipping/inverting becomes very difficult when your butt outweighs the rest of your body). But it was super duper fun! 

This class was definitely not as yoga-y as regular yoga classes. I mean, we did do some basic postures (all with the sling) and at the end, Cocoon pose was definitely helpful for savasana (best. pose. ever. just imagine yourself hanging in the air, enveloped in silk. yup. best. ever). But the fun stuff, like the flips and the inversions, was more about the fun than about the yoga. Of course for someone who has long harboured delusions of being a Cirque du Soleil performer (poor Mom had to walk into many a situation when I had somehow fallen into a wall during a pirouette/got stuck stretching/broke a table during my 'interpretive dancing'), this was a wet dream.


Let me just say that I was a bit skeptical of these slings holding all xxx pounds of me. But the instructor assured us that these silk slings can hold up to 1000 pounds (which of course made me think of just who they were targeting these slings for). Because it's true, the slings support you during balance poses you might not have been able to do otherwise, but in some other hanging poses, the sling can definitely dig into your skin and I could certainly see the advantage of being skinnier at those times.

In any case, as soon as I jumped into it, I decided immediately to rig something similar up at my house. Somehow. I see many a bedsheet sacrificed in the future towards my 'exercise and fitness' endeavours.


So. Much. Fun. I would just sit around and swing in it all day. 

And of course do fun poses like Vampire Pose. Chanelling my inner Bella, that's right.


But seriously though, while we were doing all the stuff, I thought, 'hey, well this is all fun and games but it's not really "exercise"'. WRONG. My muscles definitely feel the TRX-like lunges and stretches that we did. And the planking. And all the ab support needed to hold poses like the one above.

Yes, I may have just bought an unlimited summer pass. I am so going to pass off acrobatics-in-a-bedsheet as legit exercise. Just try it and thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment