Pages

Thursday 30 August 2012

Culture Shock: Snarky Commentator takes MoMA


Well lookie here, I'm on a roll. Third day in a row of doing fun stuff! Since the weather was being a little uncooperative, I decided to head indoors for some New York entertainment.

To MoMA that is! I figured if I'm ever going to start the whole I'm-living-in-New-York-going-to-museums-on-my-lunch-break-and-broadway-shows-on-random-weeknights, it might as well be now.

And I have to admit, the reason I chose MoMA was due to the ridiculously awesome souvenirs they have stocked in their Museum Store. Like I-want-to-buy-everything awesome.

But the curse of modern arts museums is that some modern arts are ... well ... kind of crappy. Now I understand that modern art is supposed to make people think beyond its physical representation and to allow meditation on more profound subjects. But seriously - sometimes, that's just a piece of bullshit.

I present to you ...
Nah, modern art usually costs millions. So this tomato-like get-up will probably set you back at least 199,999$.



Now I'm sure SOME people may find the above thought-inspiring (although guys, we know you just like to stare at boobs). But personally, I find it laughable.

Now that's not to say that there wasn't anything of value in the museum. There were some very interesting exhibitions going on, including one from a photographer tracing the bloodlines of several families ...
Not exactly art, per se, but very engaging.
... and one of inventions for a future world ...
This would be an artifical biological clock, which, taking information from a woman's banker, doctor, etc would let her know when she is prime for having children.
... and one of modern furniture (really cool too - they had this mini-apartment where everything folded together into a cube in the end!).

The last floor, which I guess is where EVERYBODY went is where the more famous painters were displayed - Mondrian, Picasso, Matisse, etc.


Wowee! Everyone and their grandma was apparently there. Note to self: put off further museum trips until the dead of winter.

In any case, there were some really nice Picasso's and even some new painters that I hadn't heard of that I really enjoyed looking at.

Umberto Boccioni, for example.
So MoMA was a success and a great practice for my snarky commentary. Since the weather had actually cleared up by then, I decided to head down Fifth Avenue, just to see more of downtown, and whaddaya know? It is indeed full of stores, just like they say. Now since I'm on a shopping hiatus (too much $$$ spent on the move and I only like to shop for summer dresses anyways), it wasn't as exciting as it could be, but at least I've scope out my route for my usual pre-Christmas shopping bonanza.

No comments:

Post a Comment