Pages

Monday 8 October 2012

A Week of Concerts


So Thursday night post rehearsal, I took to the streets of Manhattan to hit up a concert a friend of mine was doing at Lincoln Center. (I can't believe I get to say that! Congratulations Esteli!)

Now since I'm a cheapskate and the night was young, I actually ended up walking all the way from 72nd on the UES to 66th on the UWS. If that doesn't sound far, it isn't - if you cross through the park that is; but of course I'm a weenie and would never cross the park at night, so I had to go the roundabout way. Which wasn't too bad because, well, New York is beautiful.


Plus there's always somebody about, so the city always feels alive. Not that I would know, because usually, this would be my bedtime. Oops, grandma alert! So yes, it was quite a miracle that I even made it to the concert, let alone lasted the whole hour.


The concert was AMAZEBALLS. My friend Esteli is in an up and coming ensemble called Roomful of Teeth. They do some really amazing things with sound, so I would definitely recommend a listen (although it is a little out there, so be prepared!).



But that wasn't the end of it! Friday night was spent crossing off another item off my New York To-Do List (I really should publish that baby at some point, shouldn't I?) - watching a symphony at Fisher Hall. I was actually really excited, because A) it was a chance to dress up, duh and B) Emmanuel Ax was playing and he's really, really good.


Beautiful atrium and hall at Lincoln Center.
 Except that the concert itself wasn't so stellar due to some sound issues the orchestra seemed to be having. Like, oh, playing way louder than the pianist and not keeping in tempo. After 15 years of playing piano (quite seriously, I might add), the little things really stick out and I get to be that annoying person that loudly whispers, I can't believe they just DID that. Thankfully my friend E is a music major and shared my pain. They did fix that problem ... in the second half, when dear Manny wasn't even playing. So there's that. But at least I got to test out a new outfit, which is always a win in my book. What isn't a win is that my friend E convinced me that we should take all the photos on her phone - aka they shall never again see the light of day because it will take her a decade a year to upload them. So look for an outfit post from me in October 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment