Pages

Monday 13 February 2012

Of Work Outs Working Out

My Friday was cray-cray nonstop. The day before, it was all sunny and mild, so I busted out an unplanned run in the park (and believe me, jumping over snowbanks and frozen puddles is a real workout!) and I ended up coming home late at night, because our rehearsal was (surprise!) 3 hours long instead of 2. So I when I dragged my exhausted ass home, I just collapsed in bed, scared shitless of my super busy Friday.

First up, gym with my lovely friend Vanessa. My desire to chat and socialize only slightly won over my desire to not do anything athletic.


But we ended up chatting and gossiping on the ellipticals, which made the time pass by really quickly. I can't say it was a workout, because I wasn't sweating like a beast (like I usually am after a hard workout), but I definitely had fun. Plus we were those girls - you know the ones who aren't really working super hard, and who are all 'OMG, Greg did WHAT? And how was it?!'. But it was a good start to a Friday.
Following our gym date, I had to do a model-backstage-worthy shower/change of clothes deal before running off to my 3-hour seminar (and that WAS a workout ... putting skinny jeans onto wet legs should be an Olympic sport). The seminar was dull, as expected, which was only exacerbated by my lack of caffeination. Don't worry though - I fixed that problem as soon as was humanly possible. Can't keep me and caffeine apart for longer than a day - we were just meant to be!

That would be my reaction too, Allie. Me too.

Post seminar, I had a lab meeting, but also somehow managed to squeeze in a skype date in between; all I know is that I was VERY hungry by that point, and so my labmates had to deal with me eating my tuna-and-egg-and-onion salad (a very pleasant combination for me, but usually not so much for the people around me) in the middle of describing my research.

And then it was time for another class (ah, darkened lecture rooms, how you make my eyes heavy and prone to closing ... leading to unexpected naps during class). You would think that would be a good end to a busy day, but no! Lo and behold, I had to run home to grab dinner before my friend Jill and I traipsed over to my hot yoga studio for an evening Karma class.


The Karma class is by donation (aka 5$), so it is always uber busy. For our 1.5 hour class, they filled the room to capacity - i.e. 100 PEOPLE! That means basically that it's mat-to-mat, and you get really acquainted with your neighbour's breathing and sweating patterns.

So yes, less than ideal - but it was seriously the best practice I have had ... EVER! The instructor was great and the poses seemed to flow and throughout the whole thing, I just felt really in tune with myself and with the poses. There were some poses where I recognized for the first time just how the parts of me were supposed to fit together and how I was supposed to feel. In any case, it was magical. And I was happy to share it with a friend.

Of course then I came home and collapsed in a pile of exhausted wet-noodle-like limbs. Going out on Friday? Pfsssshh. As if. All the cool kids around in bed and asleep by 10pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment