Pages

Sunday 12 February 2012

Of Hair-dventures

So I was feeling a little under the weather and what better way to get over the winter blues than to treat yourself to something special? Now usually, I'd get an expensive latte and read for a bit in one of those squishy armchairs in a warm and cozy cafe, but I was also a little pressed for time and didn't really feel like coffee.

So next best thing - buy myself a little indulgent pampering!

For Christmas, I gave my mom a few MoroccanOil products, because everyone that had used them raved like MAD about how great they were. So I thought, well, why not treat myself as well!


This MoroccanOil shampoo contains Argon oil and is supposed to make your hair healthy and smooth. And can I just say, man, did it ever deliver! I usually wash my hair at night, and when I woke up the next morning, my hair felt luxuriously thick and smooth as silk!

Now as is typical of all who were born with straight hair, I have spent the last decade trying to make it curly, or even a little bit wavy, by any means necessary. Curling irons do NOT work for me ... 30 minutes later, all semblance of curl-age is gone. What I resort to now is braiding my slightly damp hair after I wash it and before I go to bed, wearing a messy I-just-got-out-of-bed braid the next day and then undoing the braid for perfectly shaped curls the day after.

In the spirit of trying new things, I not only washed my hair with MoroccanOil shampoo, but I also deviated from my braiding to try a sock bun. After watching a How-To Tutorial, I attempted it myself. Now, my hair is quite thick naturally, so it was a bit of a struggle, but nothing too difficult after years and years of torturing my hair.


I ended up with a GIGANTOR bun on my head, but since it was right at the top of it, it didn't bother me at all while sleeping. I think I was more bothered by the fact that I had to sacrifice one of my socks for it than anything else. Lord knows I stock up socks like no tomorrow ... Mainly because I'm a sock fiend and manage to either wear them out or lose them in the dryer (I just KNOW that they disappear into a parallel universe whilst in there ...).

In any case, here's what happened when I undid the sockbun in the morning ...


Holy volume! The MoroccanOil itself is pretty good at giving you volume by making your hair thick and strong, but the sockbun just put it over the top! I was rocking something that looked like a Diana Ross 'fro for at least half a day. Which is just the way I like it :)

So overall - a SUCCESS. The curls weren't the same neat and orderly 'do that I get from braiding, so I think I might stick to braids in general, but the shampoo was fabulous and I look forward to pampering myself in new ways in the future. Because let's face it - winter in Montreal is going to last at least 2 more months ... which means more opportunities to treat myself in order to relieve those winter blues :)

No comments:

Post a Comment