Pages

Thursday 8 March 2012

Back to Exercise

Running and me? Not so much in love right about now. Last week, I felt like I had sprained my toe and so I only last 2km on the treadmill before I called it a day. I guess my motivation’s just been lacking. And then it was too cold, or too windy, or I was too busy. (Yes, I am perfectly aware that I'm the Queen of Excuses).

So to spice it up, I finally cashed in my Teambuy coupon at my new fancy gym. I looooooooove my new fancy gym. It's in a refurbished theater, so there's tiers and the ceilings are HUGE (which is important for me. Don't want to be hitting the ceiling with my 5'11'' head, do I?).

Super blurry because while I can sneak in iPod camera photos, bringing my actual camera seems just a TAD too douchey ... I'll get there eventually though.

So first day, I hit up the spin bike and my favorite buddy, Lars.


No, I don't think his name is actually Lars, but he's tall and blond and looks like a Lars. Plus I like calling exercise people by name. And I talk to the screen. Thank god this gym is usually empty during the day, so people don't think I'm TOO weird ...

And then last Monday, to spice things up, I hit up a group exercise class. It's something I used to do all the time back in Vancouver, but have abandoned here in Montreal. But I've been low on motivation, and it's a lot easier to push yourself when you have a crazy instructor who turns up the music to 160BPM (which by the way makes ALL the music sound like it's being sung by chipmunks ... Madonna? Diva chipmunk. Ke$ha? Trashy chipmunk). Oh and then has you prance around like a crazy person for an hour.

The class was aptly calledSweatshop.
(Now I didn’t quite reach my capacity for sweating, BUT …)

image

I would say that all in all we did about 35 minutes of aerobics.
Except.
On steroids.
Imagine your regular step class …
Except the guy cranks up the music (and it's fricking fast!) …
And instead of a step, you get a BOSU.

image

Lots of running around and looking like an angry gorilla with the side squats (or was it just me?). Oh, and the best of the best:
Burpees.
On a BOSU.
On one leg.
Fuuuuuunsies.

image

Can I just say - even though my quads are fine from the squats and the lunges, my BUTT and my HAMMIES … OMG. Want to die. It feels like somebody is painfully squeezing them every time I move (umm, yea, that would be the poor underused muscles).

Anyways, crazy crazy times, and I’ve realized I luuuuurve group fitness and I’m going back next week. And to combat the soreness, I also hit up a morning hot yoga class on Wednesday, which I hated at the time (I was starving and didn't even sweat ... who doesn't sweat in hot yoga?!!) but I think helped the massive DOMS in my hamstrings. I think I'll stick to Friday evening hot yoga for now though because:
  •  you get a legit instructor (who may be quite attractive ... :) instead of a 'new' teacher (I'm cheap, and the new instructor classes are only 5$)
  • gives me something to do on a Friday night
Re: no. 2 - yes, I am lame and like hot yoga-ing and then going to bed at 10pm on Friday nights. Sue me (by sending court documents to 'Old Grandma, Montreal, Canada').

No comments:

Post a Comment