Pages

Saturday 8 September 2012

Fashion's Night Out

After all of the excitement of the long weekend, starting the semester again was ... difficult.

I mean, to go from full days of leisure to full days of ... well, actually, it's leisurely reading on fascinating subjects ... and well, that pesky 'go-to-class' bit. Not sure I can get used to a giant class full of obnoxious undergrads anymore. Guess what, apparently getting a nice little piece of paper that says you've graduated totally makes a difference. I now feel completely entitled to make fun of them.

In any case, Tuesday and Wednesday were spent in equal parts at the lab/in class or watching Downton Abbey at home.

Oh wait, did I not tell you about my new obsession?


Well, never mind. I WOULD have stayed in all night Thursday watching it as well, but it just happened to be Fashion's Night Out and I have wanted a sneak peek of that ever since I heard about it a couple of years ago.

So I got all dolled up ... and decided to take the bus downtown. The definition of cheap and chic right here. Except, well, I was supposed to take the M04 bus ... and I saw it coming at the right time and I got on and then I realized that's it was going the wrong way. I panicked, got off, and as I saw it drive away, I noticed that on the back of the bus, it says it was the M104 bus. Guess the "1" wasn't working on the front or something, but let me tell you, it makes a pretty big difference - whether the bus goes down 5th or down Broadway.

So I had to be all Carrie Bradshaw and take a cab instead. I have to say, I do prefer them (and they even have TV screens and news inside!), but my wallet is thankful this won't be a usual occurrence.


After a bit of a misunderstanding, I finally ran into my friend E. Note for future self - going alone is not that fun. Especially if you can't actually afford the clothes. But add a friend into the mix and suddenly it's a fashion party.


Oh, just coveting some Michael Kors bags. Too bad there were beefy security guards everywhere ... We actually had to skeddadle pretty quick out of there. If only because of the blaring music and the insane crowd of people.


The problem with FNO is that most of the small boutiques/stores weren't having parties per se ... mostly just loud music and lots of staff members on hand to - well, do nothing, because I don't think I saw anybody buying anything. (Let's face it - in reality, FNO is a lot of high fashion boutiques open late. No sales or anything, but they're hoping the atmosphere of the event will make you want to shell out the two grand you wouldn't shell out in the light of day.) Unfortunately for us, by the time E and I showed up, all of the champagne was gone and we had to do with water. (Not that we were complaining - it was so humid and stuffy, it was quite refreshing!). So next time - show up to the big department stores (not the small boutiques) and show up EARLY. To increase the chance of snagging some bubbly, of course.


Afterwards, E and I decided to keep strolling around downtown and WOWEE, the energy of the city is electrifying! I guess I may be missing out on something with my early bedtimes ... Hmm. On the other hand, sleeping is SO glorious.

And New York is never short of surprises ...


Like the Goat in a Pearl Necklace ...


... or a random red carpet. Werk it! Some very nice Italian gentleman of a certain age (who seemed to be coming out of the woodwork during FNO) offered to be our papparazzi - so we definitely took him up on it! Note to self: schedule daily practice posing time with my mirror.

After having our model moment, E insisted on walking uptown and I agreed (to the very loud protests of my feet). Thankfully the end prize was worth the walk:


Mojitos! I'm usually not a fan but these were AMAZING (and for what we paid for them, they better have been). We sat outside at the French Roast in the warm and humid evening and chatted about anything and everything until a time that was ridiculously past my bedtime. And the world didn't end, wouldn't you believe it! Maybe the rest of these night-going-out people have a point ...

No comments:

Post a Comment