Pages

Sunday 9 September 2012

Just a Saturday at the Museum

So clearly I did not have an early night on Friday, meaning my waking up was consequently delayed to the early lunch hours on Saturday. I'm really not made for that type of schedule so in sadness, I spent the whole morning early afternoon catching up on TV. I am proud to announce that I have watched all the available Downton Abbey episodes and am now speaking exclusively in a British accent.

By late afternoon, I realized that there was no way I'd be getting any homework done, so I decided some sight-seeing was in order. My plan was to walk through Central Park all the way to the Met, spend a couple of hours there (since my admission is free, I hope to systematically cover all of the collections within the year, at least, if not the semester). And then I would walk back.

It all started out nicely enough (even though it was crazy hot and stuffy, which turned into hot and extremely windy - talk about extremes!).


As you can see, it was jolly good weather and the walk itself was quite pleasant. I think the Grande cup of coffee helped as well, because otherwise I would've just stopped to nap. So there I am, walking, minding my own business (while dodging all the runners who apparently just take over Central Park ... at any time of day), and suddenly it gets all dark. Like really really dark.

By that point, I'm by the reservoir, so I have a bit of a clearer view, and what do I see, but a lovely New York storm getting ready to do some serious business.


Wait, let me clarify this picture for you:


Oh yea, that's me, in my nice open sandals on nice sandy path UNDER A HUGE CLOUD OF DOOM.

Needless to say, in about 5 minutes, it started pouring cats and dogs. Thankfully, I had an umbrella, but that protected maybe the top third of my body and my poor feet had to deal with the deluge. The runners obviously had nowhere to go, but in a way, I was actually jealous of them, because it's quite BAMF to run in the rain. In fact, it was warm and so I would not have minded the flood so much if I hadn't been wearing my nice shoes. (Do you notice how shoes are always a problem for me?)

But I made it! The Met is huge, so I knew I had to have some sort of plan for getting through it all, so I thought, ok, I'll start on the bottom floor. (Logical, right?). Turns out the Egyptian stuff is on the bottom floor, so all the better. 


I would pose like an Egyptian, but that's a little hard when taking selfies. Time to work on the posing at home.

The exhibit was nice but I guess I'm more interested in back stories than the actual artifacts and since an audio guide was extra $$$, I had skipped it. I guess I'm not really obsessed with Egyptian artifacts, although being at the exhibit made me remember this AWESOME video game called 'Cleopatra and Pharaoh' and suddenly I wanted to be back on my computer right then and there.

I kid, I kid. There was interesting stuff there.




Statues and mummies and temples oh my! Actually, the temple room was very cool - I always like these total-body experiences because they help to put everything into context. It reminded me of the Ishtar gate at the Pergamon Museum in Berlin - they basically reconstructed a whole Babylonian gate as part of the museum. So that was cool.

Obviously, my favorite part was all of the artifacts they recovered from some queens' tombs (all from the same harem, obviously, because all the cool pharaoh's have multiple wives).


I think I have to agree with that. Shoes and toe socks (?) made of gold is a bit above my budget. Ah well, something to dream for.

I would've walked home afterwards because it was actually quite nice and warm afterwards ...


Oh but also dark. And then it started raining. I wasn't particularly looking forward to walking in that through Spanish Harlem and beyond, so I took the bus. Like all the cool people do. And I may have finished the night with a slice of pizza from Koronet ... which was about 15'' long. (That's what she said). And that really was the end, because I barely managed to stumble to my bed to fall into the post-pizza coma. I'm clearly a good decision maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment