Pages

Saturday 1 September 2012

Recipe Time Again

Who is this person? I don't cook! I swear I don't! But something about the marinade I used on my grilled vegetables stuck in my brain, and so I set out to create a stir-fry using the same sauce for my weekday dinners.

Now I'm a fan of cooking rarely and having dinner ready to be microwaved as soon as I come home. There is absolutely nothing worse than coming home from work, tired and hungry and maybe even a little bit hangry and having nothing ready to eat. That leads to (A LOT OF) mindless snacking and other unfortunate occurrences. Such as late-evening cookie and brownie runs. Just ... bad.

And I have to say, this stirfry is AMAZING! It's quick and easy and I think the portions that I used should be enough to last me a week. Perfect!


Veritably Amazing Vegetable Stir-Fry:
- 2 bunches of broccoli
- 3 green peppers
- 2 whole portobello mushrooms (or you can just use the tops)
- 2 cups of white mushrooms
- 3 cups (or more) white sprouts

For the sauce:
- 0.5 cups olive oil
- 0.25 cups balsamic vinegar
- 0.25 cups soy sauce
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed (or chopped)

Basically - cut your peppers into long thin strips, separate the broccoli into the little heads, cut up the portobellos into thin slices, cut the white mushrooms into quarters, and pile on the sprouts all in a big bowl (or two - it takes up a lot of space!)

Mix the ingredients for the sauce and whisk them a little bit to make sure the oil and the vinegar mix together.

Pour over the prepared vegetables and use your hands to really mix the veggies in with the sauce. Let stand for 10-15 minutes, periodically using your hands to mix all the veggie bits with the sauce.

Get your giant wok out and dump it all in there (I found it works best if you only put in enough vegetables to fill the wok halfway, so you might have to do two portions separately). Cook for 15 minutes, until the peppers are soft (time depends on your stovetop). Make sure to use a spatula to stir and flip your veggies - you want it all nice and juicy!

For some extra fun, I chopped up an apple-chicken sausage (actually 4 of them) and cooked them separately on a frying pan before adding them to the wok in the last 5 minutes of cooking.

In any case, this stir fry becomes EVEN BETTER after a day or two in the fridge, because the tangi-ness of the balsamic really comes out and you end up having a party in your mouth!

No comments:

Post a Comment