Pages

Monday 9 January 2012

Culture Shock: Museum Edition


I realized two things after singing yesterday morning:
  1. I was extremely hungry. And sleepy. So much so that I couldn't decide which to do first.
  2. The Musee des Beaux Arts is right across the street from the church where I sing.
Considering my inability to make decisions, point No. 1 was postponed. But since the museum is free, I figured, why not? Because let's face it, once school starts, I'll always have something 'better' to do. So I sauntered on over and put on my 'I'm-an-art-connoisseur' face on.


Actually, first, I collapsed on a bench. Due to exhaustion. Then wondered at my insanity - going to a museum (a somewhat exhausting place, both physically - all that walking and looking connoisseur-y, and mentally - why yes, all that artsy thinking is tiring!) while feeling like I'd just run a marathon (and not the measly 2.5 miles I did this morning). Thankfully, I discovered a ziploc baggie of radishes in my purse. My purse is a mysterious, mysterious thing.


But the statue of the extremely skeletal looking meditating lady statue right in front inspired me. It's like she was telling me that staying on this couch would reduce me to her skeletal state. In order to preserve my bit of chub, I had to get moving.

Unfortunately, I only made it through the Impressionists Up to Picasso exhibit (I love me some Monet and some Henri Harpignies) and another random contemporary exhibition upstairs (called Big Bang!) before I really did have to call it quits. Actually, the Big Bang exhibit had a crazy mural room, made by a studio of artists called En Masse (literally - 'all together'), and the museum had thoughtfully provided bean bag chairs for patrons such as myself, who have no museum-fitness (not to be confused with general fitness; museum-fitness includes the ability to walk and shuffle along for long periods of time; the ability to stand in one place with one's head cocked to the side; the ability to read the tiny sign cards explaining the totally absurd abstract paintings; and the ability to do all that while looking like an artiste-hipster ... needless to say, I don't got it yet).


After this brief respite, I briefly meandered around some random rooms upstairs in a sort of a hungry daze, where everything looks like food.


That didn't deter me from my quest to release my inner artiste of course, so I had to take some artsy photos, of course.

The good thing of course is that most of the exhibitions are free and I'll be able to peruse all of them at leisure the coming Sundays.

But next time, I'm bringing lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment